Wednesday, July 28, 2010

First Class Left-Overs

Our Tuesday Farmers Market (4 to 7 pm) is becoming quite the event. Yesterday, Chris Maycomber, chef and hardware king, cooked up some delicious treats at the market. Unfortunately, I was busy with our own part of Tasty Tuesday in the store and was unable to come over for a snack. But Chris is a great guy and gave me some left-overs! I'm glad no onc could see me last night hovered over a bowl of delicious flavors while watching NCIS! Yes, I probably won't be able to get the stains out of my top, white of course, but it was worth it! I don't have Chris' recipe, but I can share the recipe I used for tabbouleh, borrowed from Ina Garten.

Tabbouleh
Ingredients
1 cup bulgur wheat
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
1/4 cup good extra-virgin olive oil
3 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 cup minced scallions, white and green parts (1bunch)
1 cup chopped fresh mint leaves (1 bunch)
1 cup flat leaf parsley (1 bunch)
1 cucumber, unpeeled, seeded and medium sized
2 cups cherry tomatoes cut in half
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Directions
Place the bulgur in a large bowl, pour in the boiling water and add the lemon juice, olive oil and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Stir, then allow to stand at room temperature for about an hour.
Add scallions, mint, parsley, cucumber, tomatoes, 2 teaspoons salt and the pepper; mix well. Season to taste and serve or cover and refrigerate. The flavor will improve if the tabbouleh sits for a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment